Tuesday, May 23, 2006

getting back into the rhythm

Early on in the pregnancy -- when I started making plans for maternity leave and returning to work -- my initial plan was to work until I went into labor, take 3 months off, then return to work full-time. Thankfully, I followed my friends' advice: I stopped working 10 days before my due date, took three months off, then returned to work part-time. The plan was to work part-time for 3 months then return to full-time.

In March, as I prepared to return to work part-time I wrote:
I return to work in less than 2 weeks. I feel change in the air although I'm not sure what will change or how. To figure it out I've consulted a variety of sources: friends, family, coworkers, the tarot, and my heart. The voice I'm hearing loudest is my heart and I'm trying to muster the courage to listen to it.


A year ago, as we were getting used to the idea of being pregnant, J and I pruned our spending. After Z was born, we pruned some more. At the beginning of April we pruned again, sold the truck, and experimented with living only on his salary. By the beginning of May, we were confident that we could make ends meet - at least well enough that quitting my job was an option.

With everything lined up, it was up to me to decide if I had the courage to listen my heart. At the beginning of May, the path was clear and I gave my notice. Starting July 4th - Independence Day - Z will have my undivided attention...

Well, not quite. I'll be gardening, selling the Subaru and various other things, and perhaps prepping the house to sell next spring - maybe we'll move north to find a big yard for the dogs and Z, to trim J's commute, and to lower our mortgage payment. Mostly, I hope to find the rhythm that I wrote about before and to enjoy this once in a lifetime opportunity to watch, learn, teach, and play with Z.

People who know me haven't been surprised by my decision; it seems the one most taken off guard is me. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home