Saturday, January 28, 2006

first outtings

Yesterday, we took Zeb (via car and then sling) to the toy store to buy a mobile and to the book store to buy calendars. On the way home we stopped by a friend's house to introduce Z. Today, I made my first solo outting - I can drive! I went to Freddie's for a covered garbage can for Z's room, a light for above the changing table, new PJs for J, and some other miscellaneous stuff. It felt good to run an errand on my own - not only to have a few minutes to myself, but the independence of driving myself and shopping for myself.

As I mentioned the other day (you get what you need), I've become more aware that I can be stubbornly independent. I am learning to surrender to the love and care from those around me and looking for a balance between independence and dependence.

I asked J again if he is annoyed by all of the work is he doing around here - cleaning, cooking, requests for food and drink sprinkled throughout the day, etc. He said, "no" - he's enjoying being the patriarch. He said that as Z and I slept on the couch in our sunny, open living room with Miles Davis playing in the background, J surveyed the scene and felt proud to be "the man slave." Well...allllll right.

I'm trying to enjoy this time and not think about J going back to work. He plans to work 2-3 days next week, but I think he'll be back to full-time after that. I'm going to miss his full-time care and this time together. I'll also miss the clean house. ;) But, I'll revel in his care for now and worry about the next stage when the time arrives. At least we know my mom will be here. She wrote from North Dakota last night and they (she and her brother) should arrive in Missoula tonight; forecast is snow. We're hoping the roads are clear. If all goes well, when we wake tomorrow they'll only be 7-8 hours away....

We began talking about our first date. Not sure when or where...but I'm looking forward to it. Valentine's Day is coming up. J's parents will be here that week and his mom is planning a holiday meal for all of us (J's parents, my mom, Z, J, and me).

Somebody's waking up...

1 Comments:

Blogger sp1ral said...

:) Thanks.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home