Monday, September 26, 2005

feeling good

The "big" feelings that started at the wedding a week ago have lingered throughout the week and were exasperated by the scale tipping 7 pounds heavier than my goal. Sprinkle in a tour of the birth center and by Saturday night I was squashed by reality: overwhelmed, sad, and fearful.

It was a sunny, warm evening and I couldn't think of anything that I wanted to do - except go to a Karl Denson show and drink a glass of wine...but Karl wasn't in town. J was fixin' to get ready to play guitar and do some work, but saw that I needed some support. He patiently discerned that mini-golf was the appropriate treatment. By the time we'd finished 18 holes, I was laughing at his goofy antics. We headed to the mall for a hot fudge sundae, to look at cribs, and to buy a bra to accommodate my new, fuller size (and to be shocked that it's increased 4 cup sizes!). He also talked me into a nightshirt, a robe, and some slippers so that I'd be more comfortable around the house. (he's so cool. i'm so lucky.)

First thing Sunday, I yogaed to the prenatal DVD, then felt some of the lingering sadness from the previous night. I searched the music archives for something to improve my mood and it was Nina Simone's "Feeling Good" that drew tears followed by a connection to nature and life that inspired me to finish Phase I of the 4 phase "garden overhaul." Luckily, it was another clear, autumn day.

Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Breeze driftin' on by you know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Fish in the sea you know how I feel
River running free you know how I feel
Blossom on the tree you know how I feel

Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, don't you know
Butterflies all havin' fun you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done
That's what I mean

And this old world is a new world
And a bold world
For me

Stars when you shine you know how I feel
Scent of the pine you know how I feel
Oh freedom is mine
And I know how I feel
As I cooked breakfast, we listened to Karl Denson and J discovered that my one wish from Saturday will be granted on Wednesday: we have tickets to see Karl play at Chop Suey. Thank you universe! [Ask and you shall receive, eh?]

I spent the rest of the day in the yard, happy to have pulled myself (with J's help) from the moment of darkness. Phase I is complete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home