Monday, September 19, 2005

the pregnant lady on the dance floor

blue sky and ocean contrast with silhouette of ridge and shore
coastal alcove
Originally uploaded by anneke boudreau.
I went as LM's guest to M&J's wedding at Camp Westwind - a YMCA camp on the Oregon Coast. The ceremony was at the outdoor "ampitheater" - logs for benches surrounding an arbor of hops, bamboo, and hydrangeas. During the ceremony I remembered our wedding and our promise to drink deeply of life. Just how deeply we'll be drinking was acknowledged by extremely active kicking from within - almost as if he was agreeing or thanking or anticipating.

It was a beautiful, modern, heartfelt ceremony, followed by dinner and a reception. Some folks took a boat back to their cars around nine, the rest - like us - stayed the night in one of the cabins. It was like being back at camp in so many ways, except the insecurities were different. ;)

I was a little intimidated by the other pregnant woman, who is due in November and whose belly seemed much smaller than mine. I'm on target to gain 30 pounds and although that is in the recommended range, I feel pressure (from myself) to gain as little as possible (while still gaining enough for both of us to be healthy). I looked at myself again in the mirror and thankfully realized:


  1. I'm larger than her in so many ways - i'm taller, stockier, and wider. Plus, as I looked again, maybe I wasn't as big as I was imagining.
  2. I have a narrow waist and seem to be carrying him out and high.
  3. He has a lot of room to grow "up" - the fundus (top of the uterus) is just above my belly button. At 9 months, it should be up in between my ribs.

long shadow with a bumpy belly falls onto sand and water
watery shadow
Originally uploaded by anneke boudreau.

So, for us, we're right on track. I need to trust that.

Plus, I was the pregnant lady on the dance floor. ;) J owns 360 vinyl in Portland, so of course they flew in one of the best djs for the reception. I've always loved to dance and it felt especially good to move with my belly...plus, the mix was masterfully outstanding. At one point he mixed "sweet home alabama" into "jack and diane" into something madonnaesque and all of that was over a modern, driving beat - maybe ludacris. He was mashing "on the fly" much better than many of the prerecorded ones.

There were several moms and lots of kids, so I had several people to talk with about maternity and birth. I think several of the younger women (in their 20's) weren't sure what to make of me. We're at such different places in life...although I was in a similar place just a few months ago. :)

Working out Friday and driving 5 hours on Saturday wrecked havoc on my back. The knot on my right side was so painful that I kept escaping to the ladies shower room to do yoga. I think my belly is pulling my back and pelvis out of whack. Thankfully I was with L - a massage therapist - and between her heavenly hands and my realization of my posture, by Sunday evening my back seemed ok again.

I crashed out earlier than most, which meant that I was up and on the beach early and alone. The tide was low so I climbed through the cave to the shadowy alcove full of starfish and anenomes.

All-in-all it was a great way to start our 6th month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home