Tuesday, March 06, 2007

mama's little helper

Spring is in the air. It's been sunny and 60s. Each day the hyacinth, tulip, daffodil, and iris get larger and larger....and so do the weeds. Sunday, Z and I went to the natural area at the end of our street. He climbed a fallen log, walked around one of the trees three times, and explored the little pebbles on the path. We also hung out on the deck and he picked up the sticks and pine needles that were littered around the picnic table. He enjoys putting things into containers - crayons into the cup, cards into the box, etc. etc.

Yesterday, with the sun gleaming, I couldn't stop thinking about the weeds encroaching on my bulbs. I figured I could combine Z's interests and reach my goal. I picked a weed, handed it to Z, and asked him to put it into the bucket. It worked! Hurray! He had more fun putting the stones into the bucket, but, that's cool! I weeded a whole area. I'll have to pick the rocks out of the pile of weeds before I compost them, but - big whoop!


Bathtime has always been one of Z's favorite activities of the day. It seems to be where he develops or at least tests his latest tricks. Last night, I took him out of the bath and before I could towel him off, he took off to our bed, climbed up, and started rolling around. I guess that's one way to dry off. Then he stood up and started bouncing! Does it really begin this young? I don't want to encourage him, but I couldn't stop laughing.

He climbed down and I began coaxing him back to the bathroom to get dressed. He walked towards me with a devilish grin, then started backing up! I had never seen him walk backwards. It of course, became a fun game that probably shouldn't have been encouraged...but I couldn't stop laughing! (He eventually did walk over to me...so perhaps not all hope is lost. lol)

Oh, and earlier in the day, he climbed up into the rocking chair, stood up, and started rocking back and forth like he was riding a snowboard! What balance! hurray!


In other news, being a mother is bringing out the Industrial Engineer in me and it totally makes sense. IEs make systems better - safer, more productive, easier to use - which is what I did all those years trying to make Web sites accessible. In my new profession, I've been trying to make house cleaning, meal preparation, and my other tasks more efficient, less stressful, and more fun.

Saturday, I decided to focus on meals. I wanted to spend less money, less time prepping, minimize the stress, and increase the quality of our meals - I've definitely been getting lazy and saw that Z was getting bored. I read about child nutrition to make sure that even though Z is avoiding several foods that he's getting all of the nutrients he needs then spent two hours creating a menu for every meal this week - 42 meals, including snacks. Then, I made a spreadsheet for my shopping list - organized by departments - and struck through all the items that I already had. At the store, I bought exactly what I needed for the week - I didn't allow myself to fall victim to sale items that I might need "someday" or other temptations (except for the girl scout cookies).

The result: as of today (day 3), I'm looking forward to mealtimes rather than dreading them. We are eating better. I prepped a solid meal for a friend who stopped by unexpectedly and I was also able to hang out with her for a couple hours - stress free. I could relax because I had more time because everything was (or at least felt) "under control." Our freezer if filling up with leftovers that I'll use next week - which means even *more* "free" time and even *less* money. Zowie!

My ideal graduate program for an M.S. in homemaking would be a mixture of Industrial Engineering, Medicine, Nutrition, Education, Economics, Psychology, etc. etc. It's been said before, but it's worth saying again....and again. Maybe the pay won't always suck so bad - "Being a Mother Just Doesn't Pay."

Mothers rule. Thanks momma. Thanks grandmommas. Thanks mothers-in-law (yes, I now have two :) and smom. I respect you all so much. I have so much to learn. xoxoxoxo

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

Can you teach me? It sounds like you have it all together, and I am so jealous! : )

10:20 AM  
Blogger William Loughborough said...

Be careful when you think about making meal prep more "efficient".

One reason there's so few fat Chinese is that they spend much of the day chopping food. Just as the journey is the trip as much as the destination, so with cookery.

Love.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home