Monday, March 26, 2007

little changes, big results

For the last week, Z's been waking up a couple times at night and decided not to put himself back to sleep. I've tried reasoning with him but he's been pretty stubborn. He also decided that I should wake up at 5 a.m. so that he could sleep on my lap until 6 a.m. I've explained that mommy really needs to sleep in her bed until at least 6, but he says that he really needs mommy's lap and doesn't mommy want Z to grow up to be a big, smart boy? So, mommy pretends to be a bed.

A couple days ago, J suggested, "Maybe if you put him to sleep later he'll wake up later." What?! Are you kidding? ALL of the sleep books say, "an earlier bedtime means more sleep not less. Plus, could he really stay awake until 8?" I tried it two nights ago and we may have killed two birds with one stone - we've both managed to stay in our respective beds *all night* until 6:15 a.m. It's glorious.

We received a pamphlet from the state of Washington about toddler nutrition, including very clear instructions for the size of portions to serve throughout the day. I was shocked! I've been *completely* overfeeding him. No wonder he has had such a spectacular Buddha belly.

I swear that he used to have 6 teeth but as of a couple days ago I only counted 5. Was #6 knocked out? Did I imagine #6? J doesn't think it ever came in. I swear there's something there. Could it have gone back in? I've heard they do that sometimes.

Tomorrow is my last day of Master Gardener class and Friday is Z's last day at daycare. I decided that we needed a daily plan to make the most of our days. I've modified the daycare daily schedule and am creating a "daily activity menu" - it's like our food menu, but more fun. It goes something like this: breakfast, crafts, songs, dancing/outdoor play/excursion, books, lunch, nap, dancing/outdoor play/excursion, snack, etc. This week's theme is "birds." We're looking for birds on dog walks (we saw a woodpecker, a bald eagle, a hummingbird, and several robins this morning), drawing birds, cutting out pictures of birds, looking at different types of birds in our Audubon guide, making birds out of legos and play-doh, playing with stuffed animal birds, and watching birds on the porch as we eat. By the end of the week, I suspect he'll either hate birds or he'll give me some sort of sign or word for, "bird." Let's hope for the latter. I'm desperate for him to communicate in a shared language that is more evolved than neanderthalese.

He is convinced that I should understand his utterances. This morning as we climbed the stairs he stopped, looked me in the eyes, and babbled at least two very sincere sentences about the nature of the universe. He patiently stared at me, waiting for my response, but he was way over my head. I dumbly answered, "Interesting. Tell me more."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home