Monday, October 16, 2006

happy living

Last Monday, we left Seattle at 8 a.m. on the Clipper headed to Victoria, BC. We sat near a family from New York with a 3 year old son named Reed. He and Z "talked" and played with each other for a while. Around our usual naptime, Z settled down in my arms for a snooze.

We arrived in Victoria at 11 a.m. and walked around the bay to our hotel. At check-in they gave Z a book and cup and soon after delivered a portable crib to our room. We ate some lunch in the restaurant then walked back around the bay to downtown and shopped for toys for Z. He got a multi-colored football/soccer ball, a wolf puppet, and two wind-up bath toys - a freestyle swimming hippo and a boat.

I ate room service and hung-out with Z while J went out with work folks for dinner and drinks. I was super excited for bathtime - new toys! The hippo swims in circles and the boat goes straight. When I put them in the tub with Z, the hippo went right for him. Z wanted out of the tub - stat! I have never seen him afraid of anything. It was a cute first. More about the hippo later...

Butchart Cove

He didn't sleep well at all that night which was a real bummer. J had to be at the work meeting at 8 and Z and I were supposed to be leaving from the Empress on a shuttle to Butchart Gardens at noon. J didn't have a choice, but I wasn't sure we'd make it to the gardens. Z and I were both cranky. We had breakfast, I took him for a walk along the water in the cool morning air, then settled in for a nap. When I woke, it felt like I had slept for 3 hours but it had only been one. Z slept for another hour while I checked email and meditated.

By 11:15, Z had his lunch and we were both in good spirits. I decided to go for it.



It was a 45 minute, bumpy ride on a double decker bus. Z won over the couple from Tennessee (who called him "the boy in blue") and the two ladies from Florida. We had 90 minutes to explore. I went straight for the Japanese Gardens. I bought 4 heathers at Swanson's fall sale and wanted ideas for spacing them. In threes seems to be the key. Luckily, I have another one sitting in a pot that I can plant with the other 4.

orange and blue wake

We got back to the hotel at 3, packed up, and checked out at 4. We were back on the boat headed to Seattle at 6 and sat in front of Reed and his family again! It was fun to hear about his adventures in Victoria.

Along they way, nature put on one of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen. More photos are available.

As we left the boat in Seattle, Reed waved goodbye and said, "Happy Living." His parents, grandparents, and us all thought it was a great way to say farewell and wished each other the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home