Wednesday, September 06, 2006

update

Z is crawling more often than "worming," which means he is quicker and can tote around toys in one or both hands. He's honing all of his other new skillz - pulling himself up, cruising the furniture, and picking up food to bring to his mouth (as well as anything else he discovers from the glorious buffet on the ground). This morning he did at least 40 laps on his crib rail, i.e., walking side to side to side to side - very quickly. The other day he did at least 50 squats standing at the game table. This is good because we've already arranged a gym membership for him (ha ha).

The cat is absolutely horrified - Z is now able to shoot his arm out at lightning speed to grab her tail and he's getting strong enough he can pull her backwards (I had to let him do it, it was pretty funny, although I apologized to the cat and promised not to let him do it again). His pincer grasp has evolved enough that he can pick up pieces of banana - a week ago when he tried it the bananas all fell to the floor, today they all made it into his mouth.

We spent most of the day yesterday at Green Lake with Z&X. Had a picnic, walked around (with Z in the jogging stroller), then swang for a while, then he took a nap under a tree while I lay on a blanket studying the leaves.

J was out of town last week and leaves again tomorrow so I'm making sure we have a full social calendar.

I hung our new hummingbird feeder last week but think the only visitors we've had are wasps.

I planted dozens of seeds 2 weeks ago and the result is lots of basil, 3 lupine, 0 echinacea, and 0 daisies. That's ok - Swanson's fall sale starts tomorrow (woooopeeeeee!).

I joined "Seattle hipster mamas" and look forward to the pool party in a couple weeks.

We had a BBQ with neighbors who were due 5 days ago. Mom is going to stay home and raise the new baby and their 3 year old. Dad works at a web design shop and might send some work my way. LMcG and SdG were here for the weekend and we ran into the neighbors at the farmer's market. That evening we were grilling with them. Hooray for neighborhood farmer's markets and neighbors.

With J out of town, Z and I are in charge of walking the dogs. We discovered the backback - Z loves it. He hangs out, overlooking my shoulder, watching the ground, the dogs, the trees...he's a natural. So amazingly cute in it...I'll have to take a photo - there is no way I can describe how content he is in the backpack.

He's able to put himself to sleep at night - with only a little bit of fussing. He then sleeps for 3 hour stretches, but still expects to eat when he wakes. It's huge progress. Next, we'll have to figure out how to eliminate some of those night feedings. He skipped one the other night (not by his choice...mom was experimenting), but at least we know it's possible.

It's exciting to see the kids at the park and think about what he'll be learning and doing next. It's also nice to have more children in our lives and to extend our community. When we were in the midwest it became clear that we needed more of those folks in our lives and voila! We're home and 2 weeks later the roster grows. I'm thankful that my requests were heard and answered. It's also great that our virtual community is growing stronger - all you folks reading this and exchanging email. Keep it coming.

It's another bonus to not working - I have more time to tend to relationships - something that was too overwhelming for me to do while I was working - I was tending to so many work relationships.

Many folks have asked if I miss work. No. I needed this break. I probably should have taken it a while ago. I still don't know what's next or when or what. Right now, I don't need to know.

xoxo

1 Comments:

Blogger firedrake said...

Belated Congratulations!

often think of you, and had heard that you'd left work, however no one mentioned that you'd had a baby.

It's an amazing, transforming experience, as is evidenced by your delightful blog

Phoebe is now 10 and we're considering where she'll continue her education, this is the year of exams and stressful.
her blog is here:
http://cattleprattle.blogspot.com/

If you are coming to the UK please come for a meal, we're in central london.

best wishes

Jonathan

I'm still dreaming of continuing my work with peepo, but the funding is elusive at present. Hope you wont consider this intrusive.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home