Thursday, July 20, 2006

soyless in seattle

Thankfully, the next six months of breastfeeding will help me "reprogram" myself to steer clear of soy...but it's soy hard! I'm used to avoiding eggs, wheat, and milk. Peanuts won't be that much of a stretch because my mom is allergic to them, although peanut butter (by the spoonful) is one of my favorite snacks and phad thai one of my favorite dinners. But soy?! It's SOy unfair! No more tofu! Soy milk! Soy sauce!!! That means all of my comfort foods are out until Z outgrows his allergy...no more phad see ew...miso soup...pho...grilled tofu...terriyaki...edamame...glasses and glasses of chilled chocolate soy milk! AND not to mention that soy lecithin is in most chocolates (heaven forbid!) and soy oil is in most breads, pastries, and baked snacks (like veggie booty!).

It's soy sad...let's hope that soymeday, we'll be able to enjoy soy together...soymeday soon, I hope!!

2 Comments:

Blogger sp1ral said...

lol - thanks for humoring me.

8:39 PM  
Blogger rocklizard said...

Yikes, I know exactly how you feel. K figured out that he is allergic to soy a couple years ago and I miss making grilled tempeh, and putting tofu on pizza, and ....

Plus you are right, soy is everywhere. Luckily K has figured out that soy oil and soy sauce are ok. Whatever in the soy that he is allergic to apparently isn't in those items. We suspect it is the protein.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home