Monday, June 05, 2006

time is speeding up

There is something about June...

Not sure what it is but it feels like Z and I are both "waking up." May was a difficult month - we didn't have the support of grandmomma but I was still trying to work. As the clock winds down on my job, not only am I feeling less attachment to work and more attachment to Z, I'm feeling all sorts of changes.

I'm not sure how much time I have, so I'll make a list and hope to expand on these later:
  • Finishing things - rather than starting a series projects one after another - without finishing any of them- I'm actually finishing one project before starting the next. This is as simple as washing the dishes and not starting the laundry or anything else until I'm done washing the dishes...and not just *most* of the dishes, ALL of them. It also includes putting the lawn mower away before I start weeding. All of these small "projects" lead up to completing larger projects. In some way I wonder if this is related to not finishing a work project for over 6 years and how overwhelmed I always felt...always so much to do...I'm not feeling overwhelmed as much anymore. I'm much more focused on the task at hand. I think there are two things driving this change: 1. having read "The Power of Now" and trying to practice what I read and 2. never knowing how much time I have before Z needs me again. Those short bursts of time have helped me focus.
  • Asking for help - for some reason I thought I could find answers to all of my questions in books or on the Web. ha. (Shy or introverted? ;) But, I'm discovering that bringing up things in conversation usually leads to new, good nuggets of information. In the last week, I've learned about an N.D./M.D. pediatrician (naturopath and medical doctor), found a sitter, bought tickets to Chicago (for $5), arranged a dinner with a couple from our birth class, and found someone willing to hire me as a consultant ("I resigned a couple weeks ago." "What do you do?" "Write accessibility guidelines." "You're hired! Tell us when you're ready to start."...well, not quite but not far off). I'm reaching out to folks in ways that I haven't...probably because I was so overwhelmed with work. :) This seems related to the new circle of friends we're cultivating and having a whole new set of questions on my mind.
hmm. seems to me there were other things I wanted to talk about, but before I do I want to write about our dinner last night with S, K, and E.E. I met K in a prenatal yoga class and was happy to see her in our birth class. E.E. and Z were born 21 days apart (E.E. is older) and are the same height and weight - it was fun sharing stories about our 4.5 month olds in 9 month clothing. The big news is that they started E.E. on solids when he was around 3 months and he's been so much happier ever since - we've got big boys and they need lots of calories! So, we gave Z a couple spoonfuls of E.E.'s food and Z devoured it. Not to mention, E.E. sleeps for 11 hours! Since I'm breastfeeding (and it is easy to digest), Z's been eating almost every 2 hours around the clock. What's sleep? What would 11 hours be like? I can't even imagine...although I hope we find out soon. :)

Today is our first day with our new sitter! eep. Z has been a little fussy - allergies or separation anxiety? Well, it's hard. We've had fun the last month...and we'll have fun again next month...but I need to focus on wrapping up this job.

I hope to get back into a writing rhythm, I realize that I haven't been writing as much. But, we have exciting times ahead...multiple airline trips. More on that soon. eep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home