Thursday, June 29, 2006

last hour of last day...first hour of next day

I've begun the last hour of my last day at my job....or I've almost begun the first hour of the first day of my new job. ;)

It really doesn't feel like "the end." I expect some contact with folks next week - there are a couple incomplete issues...but for the most part...this is it. I feel good about stepping away from the field for a while and returning with a fresh perspective.

I'm looking forward to creatively acquiring goods and services, i.e., bartering instead of paying cash. Yesterday at the butcher, (ha! yes - me - long-time vegetarian and one-time vegan - at a butcher!), I asked for a menu to keep with my food planning pile as inspiration for lunches for J. They said it was one of those projects that keeps getting put off. I volunteered to update the menu in exchange for food. This opened up the possibility of ongoing Web work for food. heh.

I'm also looking forward to lots of time in the yard, working on the house (improvements as well as daily maintenance), prepping food for all of us (more on that below), and managing our finances....domestic goddess extraordinaire! I will likely cancel the diaper service, buy a bunch of diapers, and wash them myself. I look forward to being more creative - photography, Web design, and, of course, blogging. I may even sew some clothes for Z. We have our midwest trip to look forward to and other activities to plan - weekends in the mountains, trips to u-pick farms, birthday parties, etc. Martha Stewart...watch out. ha.

As for food, for years we've been supplementing the dogs' dry kibble with raw food. Our brand recently doubled in price (ouch) and we've been trying other varieties. I have a book about preparing it from scratch and it seems straightforward (Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats) and hopefully cheaper. I also have a book about making baby food from scratch (Super Baby Food). Again, pretty straightforward: mash fruit and serve; cook veggies, puree, and freeze in ice cube trays...plus other directions for grains, beans, and eventually meat and dairy. I'll discuss this with our new doctor at our first visit next Thursday. I've decided to go with the N.D./M.D. - she's associated with Children's Hospital and we had a great discussion about allergies at our "meet 'n' greet" last week.

Well, I suppose I ought to spend my last few minutes actually working... ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home