Wednesday, June 21, 2006

allergies

We saw a pediatrician/allergist at the Northwest Allergy and Asthma Center. I scheduled the visit because Z is one itchy -- and sometimes red -- little fella. I've eliminated dairy and nuts from my diet for him and wheat for me....but he's still itchin'. I wanted to know if we had the right mix. I was tempted to eliminate soy as well, but wasn't excited about the changes to my diet.

The hives on his arms from the scratch tests were very clear:
  • strong reaction to egg white and peanuts
  • mild reaction to dogs, cats, and soy
  • no reaction to dairy and wheat
We left with a packet of information about allergies and eczema, a prescription for zyrtec, samples of lotions, an order for a blood test (to be completed in a couple of months), and a recommendation to return in 6 to 8 months.

Nuts is typically an allergy that people do not outgrow and is most associated with anaphylaxis - Z will likely need to carry an epipen with him when he is older.

Now...I can order that pizza I've been craving and top it off with a hot fudge sundae...guilt free. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger sp1ral said...

Yep - I'm avoiding peanuts, eggs, and soy...but on the flip side now I can have dairy and if *I'm* feeling good - wheat - since I'm the one allergic it.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home