Wednesday, March 01, 2006

6 weeks

We've made it to 6 weeks. It's gone by so quickly.

My blogging has slowed for a variety of reasons
  1. When I'm not feeding, holding, entertaining, or cleaning the baby, I'm catching up on eating, laundry, shopping, or some other activity in preparation for feeding, holding, entertaining, or cleaning the baby.
  2. I'm not analyzing every thought and event, I'm just living and loving. Therefore, there's been less to write about.
I could write lists of what he's done that's new, although the list isn't incredibibly long and not terribly exciting. The best are his noises and expressions. He squeals and smiles.

I am almost confident in my ability to take him places and to hang out with other people while he's around. Sunday, two friends brought their 18 month old for a visit. That night we went to a 2 year old's birthday party - it was about 4 times the energy of the Halloween Party. I was so energized afterwards - something about seeing friends that I hadn't seen in 6 weeks and increasing my confidence that we can get out of the house without much worry; that he does well in the car and around other people. In other words - he didn't freak out and we looked like real, confident, relaxed parents. It was cool.

Monday grandmomma and I explored Edmonds. We were out for 4 hours and I carried him for about 2. I got tired and needed to rest, but I wasn't totally sore on Tuesday. I spent most of the day on the couch, but wasn't totally slammed. I'm healing!

Last night, J set up my new chair and entertainment system (am/fm radio, dvd, cd, lcd for me) in the nursery. I have one remote for everything and can easily switch between functions. I'll probably never leave this room again... :)

To sum up:
  • Having a kid is cool
  • I'm not totally stressed out about meeting his needs
  • I do worry about how much and how often he spits up, but since he's not too freaked out about it, I figure it's just part of the dance and that we'll get in synch eventually
  • I love watching J entertain Z. Last night he wore the boppy pillow on his head and whistled a story to Z. I can't believe Z was able to sleep through all the bouncing of my stomach (from uncontrollable laughter).
At the party the other night, two friends were talking about how they and their husbands are on the fence about having children. I said, "I was on the fence, too, and am glad J pushed me off. We get to walk around the house all day acting like idiots and playing. It's pretty cool." Plus, think about all that he has to learn and that we have to teach. He's programmed to do so much, we're here to help him figure it out. Like holding his head up and looking at things and talking...and we get to help him figure it out by playing with him and talking with him and taking him places and showing him things...it makes this world seem pretty exciting and huge...especially when lights are one of the most exciting things...imagine when it's the dogs or grass or orange juice.

Although, the "all day" part will be coming to an end in 4-6 weeks for me. I haven't been thinking about it, but J reminded me today that it's 1 March and I said I'd be back to work on 3 April. Well...I'm going to push it to the back of my mind for another few weeks and continue to enjoy this time with Z and not think too much about anything...other than the sad tale of Mr. Boppyhead and how he lost his candy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home