Friday, January 13, 2006

doctor's orders

After the stress test the doctor suggested that I "walk around Green Lake with someone and have sex with your husband." The stress test was pretty simple: I sat on a table with two monitors strapped to my belly. One monitored contractions and the other monitored Gilhooly's heartbeat. The test was to see how his heartbeat increased when he moved and decreased when he settled. They wanted to see at least two 15 point differences within 30 minutes. He passed with flying colors within the first 10 minutes of the test, but I had to log the full 30 minutes. I had 2 one minute contractions and his heartrate increased with each peak of the contraction and then decreased afterwards. The nurse says that this shows he is getting enough oxygen. Plus, two contractions! I hadn't even realized I was having them. Each lasted about a minute and created a sizable peak on the monitor. These are still "practice" contractions...still warming up for the big show, but it is a good indication of progress and that we're getting closer.

I'm off to eat some spicy food and follow the doctor's orders. :) Wish us luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home