Friday, October 07, 2005

Is "gilhooly" related to Ellen Burstyn?

One of my colleagues recently asked, "Does the name [gilhooly] have anything to do with Ellen Burstyn?" He had been playing a movie trivia game and the question was "What are the
stage names of the following people?". Gilhooly was in the list.

My response was:
It could. I'm not sure. My Great Aunt Betty - who was (from what I've heard) a progressive, artistic, lively woman - called my brother "gilhooly" while he was in the womb and everyone else adopted it. When I got pregnant, my family started calling our unborn "gilhooly" - thus creating a family tradition. :)

My dad thought it meant "little one" but I haven't found any evidence of that. I did a couple checks on Ellen and it could very well be inspired by her.
So, family, did Aunt Betty get the name Gilhooly from Ellen Burstyn? Or is there a better theory?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home