Friday, September 02, 2005

training

I'm glad I trained for and ran a 1/2 marathon before getting pregnant. It means I started out the pregnancy in good physical condition, but more importantly the mental conditioning carries over into preparing for labor. Here's my comparison of training for a 1/2 marathon versus training for labor and delivery:










activityhalf marathonlabor and delivery
endurance trainingrun one or two times around Green Lake (3.1 miles) 2 or 3 times per week to build muscle and cardio endurance. also helps with confidence, "i set a goal and reached it!"walk once around Green Lake 2 or 3 times a week to maintain weight, leg muscles, cardio, get fresh blood pumping to my brain and to baby, and relieve tension. also helps with confidence, "i set a goal and reached it!"
muscle training50 sit ups 3 times a week, other upper body and leg weightsleg lifts, weights 5-7 times a week
yogadaily - to keep leg and back muscles stretched to prevent injurydaily - to open up hip muscles, relieve back stress, relax, reposition the baby, prep for labor
dietcarbs for energy, protein for muscle repair, lots of water, fruits and veggies for overall healthcarbs for folic acid, protein to build new muscles, etc. lots of water, fruits, and veggies to help everything grow. eating more variety in foods to give baby flavor so will hopefully have a wide taste for different foods
mental"If I don't run today, the next run will be even harder and I might not finish the race easily. If I do run today, the next run will be that much easier and I will feel that much stronger and relaxed during the race.""If I do walk today, I will maintain my weight, the baby will get a soothing jiggle for a solid nap, I will have more energy, and feel more confident tomorrow. Hopefully, I will have as much stamina as I need for labor and all the right muscles to push for delivery. Hopefully, by keeping relaxed now and keeping in touch with my body, come labor I will be able to stay in tune and relaxed. Keeping in shape now means less extra work later and I'll be more likely to run the November 2006 1/2 marathon."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home